Methods and Tools
From manuscript encoding to creating an online exhibition, there are a variety of tools and platforms that can help in organizing, analyzing, and displaying your data in digital form. Below are some ideas for incorporating digital methods to your project. This is not an exhaustive list but a starting point of possibilities!
Exhibiting and Cataloguing
Content Management Systems (CMS) are for projects that use digital publishing methods to organize, describe, and showcase their materials and collections.
- What is a CMS? How does it differ from a regular website?
- Omeka: a platform for cataloging and showcasing online digital collections and exhibitions.
- Mukurtu: a community platform created for indigenous groups to manage cultural materials.
- Wordpress: a user friendly and extensible platform for blogging and website creation.
- Scalar: a platform for authoring and publishing media-rich scholarship.
- Drupal: a platform for back-end for website configuration and content creation.
Text Editing, Encoding, Analysis
For projects that work with electronic or digitized texts in order to clean, transcribe, mark up, or process textual data in preparation for data analysis or web publication.
- XML (eXtensible Markup Language): language for text encoding, or marking up text to make it both human and machine readable.
- TEI (Text Encoding Initiative): an extension of XML for encoding textual data (such as manuscripts) in humanities, social sciences and linguistics contexts.
- XSLT (eXtensible Stylesheet Language Transformations): a language for transforming XML documents into other formats, such as HTML for web publishing.
- Text Analysis: allows researchers to extract information about texts by processing them with computational tools such as Python and MALLET.
- Text Editors: allow researchers to create, clean, and manage text, essential for any digital project that involves working with plain text, markup, or programming languages.
For projects that work with sound and audio in order to record, clean, edit, and optimize audio for digital preservation, data analysis, and web publication.
Web Archiving and Analytics
For projects that capture born-digital content like websites, net art, and digital archives for preservation and analysis.